certified true copies | Ottawa Notary Public Blog

Ontario's Top Rated Notary Public

certified true copies

Consent to Travel - What You Should Know

As a result of concern for the safety of children, most governments now possess special requirements with regard to the travel of children under the age of majority, typically 18 years of age, should such travel be undertaken without all parents or guardians.

In essence, documentary evidence in the form of a notarized or commissioned consent to travel letter must be presented to establish the permission of the parent(s) or guardian(s) for a minor to cross international borders with an accompanying adult. AIrline and other authorities may stipulate additional requirements. An un-notarized or un-commissioned consent to travel is likely to be rejected by border officials due to the very real possibility of forgery.

Thus, should a child be travelling with one parent, guardian or accompanying adult, the notarized or commissioned consent of the absent parent(s) or guardian(s) is required.

Should a child have only one parent, as evidenced by the child’s long form birth certificate, a notarized copy of that long form birth certificate will be sufficient for the purposes of consent to travel, should it be presented by that one parent.

Note that should a child with a single parent be travelling with an accompanying adult, the notarized or commissioned consent of that parent, as well as a notarized or commissioned copy of the long form birth certificate, is required.

At Bytowne Notary Public, we are able to competently assist with consent to travel documentation. Visit us today, and quickly discover why we are Ottawa's full service notary public.