Archives for October 2016 | Ottawa Notary Public Blog

Ontario's Top Rated Notary Public

Getting Married Abroad - The No Stress Option

Planning on getting married abroad? Dreaming of blue skies and ocean waves but concerned about getting the paperwork right? At Bytowne Notary Public, we know how important it is to have the documents ready before you jump on the plane. We can assist with any step within your process - from specific notarizations and certified true copies to the full service involving liaising with the embassy or high commission of your marital destination to get documents done properly. In many cases, you'll require a "Statement in Lieu of a Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage Abroad", issued by your province or territory. Yes, it's a mouthful, but we can help you get one.

Don't live your upcoming nuptials to last minute stresses. Instead, rely on a responsible, experienced and cost-effective notary public service to assist you with the process.

Visit us today, and quickly discover why we are Ottawa's full service notary public.

Consent to Travel - What You Should Know

As a result of concern for the safety of children, most governments now possess special requirements with regard to the travel of children under the age of majority, typically 18 years of age, should such travel be undertaken without all parents or guardians.

In essence, documentary evidence in the form of a notarized or commissioned consent to travel letter must be presented to establish the permission of the parent(s) or guardian(s) for a minor to cross international borders with an accompanying adult. AIrline and other authorities may stipulate additional requirements. An un-notarized or un-commissioned consent to travel is likely to be rejected by border officials due to the very real possibility of forgery.

Thus, should a child be travelling with one parent, guardian or accompanying adult, the notarized or commissioned consent of the absent parent(s) or guardian(s) is required.

Should a child have only one parent, as evidenced by the child’s long form birth certificate, a notarized copy of that long form birth certificate will be sufficient for the purposes of consent to travel, should it be presented by that one parent.

Note that should a child with a single parent be travelling with an accompanying adult, the notarized or commissioned consent of that parent, as well as a notarized or commissioned copy of the long form birth certificate, is required.

At Bytowne Notary Public, we are able to competently assist with consent to travel documentation. Visit us today, and quickly discover why we are Ottawa's full service notary public.